Sunday, January 5, 2014

5th January 2014


Many people come across our paths in life. This precious lady is one I will never forget. Yesterday we picnicked with her and her beautiful family at the very spot when almost 3 years ago she, full of grace and wisdom, suggested to me that something was not right with Victoria, and that we should go to the doctors asap. 

This was I should mentioned, after we visited a doctor 3 times in the previous 5 days to find out why Victoria was falling over all the time. After a hip x-ray and ultrasound, we were told by the doctor, she will be all right, come back in 4 weeks time.

However, this was clearly not the case, as within a week of this conversation with my friend in the park, Victoria was in the operating theater having brain surgery. Clearly waiting four weeks was not the best course of action. 

I will be forever grateful to my friend for the grace and love she showed to me that day at the park. For the way she communicated to me about, what I now know, was a very serious problem.

I will be forever grateful to God, who knew that after the misdiagnosis from the doctor, that someone else was needed to point us to the help Victoria needed. 

Needless to say I was a bit teary in the park yesterday, as I relived some of the emotions of that day. But as I watched with amazement Victoria running around, playing and laughing, I was reminded again of God's faithfulness throughout this journey. And the smile returned to my face.

It has been 3 months since Victoria stopped treatment. On New Years Eve, I felt finally able to take down some of the signs I had put up around our home regarding hand hygiene, Victoria's medications, emergency phone numbers, mouth wash regimes etc. It was a surprise to me that it has taken me so long to emotionally have the strength to do that simple, but significant and symbolic task.  And hopefully prophetic task!

I replaced the signs with the verse of scripture I believe God has given me for 2014. A scripture to remind me of the benefits of living God's way. Benefits we have experienced as we have pressed firmly into God during this time of trial. The challenge now as this trial ends and life resumes to some normal capacity, is to keep trying to live God's way, looking to Him for everything and in everything. Here is the scripture:

But what happens when we live God's way?

He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard - things like
  • affection for others
  • exuberance about life
  • serenity


We develop 
  • a willingness to stick with things
  • a sense of compassion in the heart
  • a conviction that basic holiness permeates things and people.


We find ourselves 
  • involved in loyal commitments
  • not needing to force our way in life
  • able to marshal and direct our energies wisely


This scripture is from Galatians 5:22-23, The Message version. In other versions it is often called the fruit of the spirit verse.

Thank you again for continuing to pray for our family as we draw closer to Victoria's MRI on 6th February. We thank God that the results to be positive.

Happy New Year!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you have all got to a stage in this journey where you can take down the signs......and we are all so lucky for you friends observations, fortitude and wisdom to speak up....... Love Auntie Michelle