Thursday, October 3, 2013

3rd October 2013




This morning when I woke up I felt overcome with emotion at the thought of going up to the hospital again for Victoria's treatment. The scripture from my morning devotion was the second part of Matthew 28:20 - I am with you all the days (perpetually, uniformly, and on every occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age. Amen (so let it be). These were the exact words I needed to hear, and have placed in my heart.

I was so distraught I could hardly have a conversation on the phone with my wonderful friend who was bringing us dinner tonight. I thought to myself how am I going to do this for another 3 weeks. Eventually I made it to the shower and took some deep breaths, and felt more able to face the day.

Thankfully a friend from church was going to look after the other children today, so it would just be Victoria and I at the hospital today. Once again, I am so grateful for all the support church has provided us with, especially in the last 3 months. 

Finally Victoria and I made it to the hospital. Victoria had her port accessed, and then the doctor nonchalantly said, "This will be the last treatment today and we will re-assess after the scan." I just sat there a bit stunned, that was not the plan last week. All I could think was, Thank you God, you knew this had to be the last day! We had the support of another wonderful friend from church with us at the hospital today. In fact when she arrived, I left her with Victoria and just went off to have a good cry, tears of relief and joy.


Here is Victoria getting ready to have chemo, with one of the very caring nurses that we are again so grateful for. 

A couple of months ago, Victoria had asked if she could have some goldfish when chemo finished. So as soon as chemo was finished today, we picked up Alexandra and Charlotte, and went to the fish shop. Ken and Marshall met us there. What excitement in the shop!



First Victoria picked out the bowl and all the decorations.



Next step was to pick out three fish. Victoria named them immediately: Amy, Emily and Grace.


It was so exciting


Then after a careful drive home, the fish bowl was set up.


 The fish put in, and Victoria gave them their first meal.



What a day it has been, a morning of despair and complete reliance on God to get me through each moment. An afternoon of joy knowing that we have a time ahead of us where we can be 'normal' family again. And joy at seeing Victoria loving her fish.

You may have noticed a pink sign at Victoria's desk, 'This is a Praise God time.' That sign has been up in our house since Victoria was came home from having brain surgery in January 2011. It has been a constant reminder to me that God is in control even when it doesn't feel like He is, and that He has a plan, and it is always right and good. Indeed His plan for today was right and good.

Thank you again to everyone who has helped us in so many different ways. Words really cannot express our gratitude. Please continue to pray for us as we wait for Victoria's scan on 22nd October and results on 28th October.
,



No comments: