Thursday, February 28, 2013

27 February 2013

 
 
All went well at treatment yesterday. Looking at this picture, who would have thought that Victoria had just been sitting in the treatment room for the past 4 hours!
 
Having Alexandra with us at the hospital now is such a blessing. She watches everything with interest and is so proud of her sibling bravery beads. The other night at "show and tell" at dinner, she showed us all every one! Normally siblings get 1 bead per visit, however this week Alexandra got 5.
 
 
The nurses also gave the girls some bags and craft things to take home.  They very proudly wore them out of the hospital.
 
Next Wednesday is an off week, which is great as Victoria can attend the school athletics carnival.
 
Thank you to everyone who prayed for Victoria's challenge of the circuit at school last week. Being the determined girl that she is, she gave every activity station a go, and most she could do in some way.
 
I don't often say this or in fact even think it, but today I am just going to put it out there - it is really hard being a family who has a child with cancer. At times the stress on family members is immense! Here is a snippet of an exchange that took place between some of our children last week ..
Child A - I don't want to help *** anymore. Why does she need help anyway?
Child B - Because she has cancer
Child C - Why do I have to be the only one in the family who has cancer?
Obviously this type of conversation doesn't go on everyday, or even every week or month. But there are days it really does get all too much for some of us. Thankfully we have never all felt this way on the same day, so at least 1 person in the family can stand strong and help the rest of us lift our heads and come back to a place of love and grace.
 
Victoria has just completed week 34 of treatment. She has about 4 months to go. The next scan is April 16th. This journey has been and is long. As a mum the challenge to be emotionally and spiritually strong can sometimes be very overwhelming. My gracious heavenly father reminded me this morning of Isaiah 40 v29-31, particularly verse 31, but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (NIV) This truth brings great peace to my heart and a supernatural energy to continue through the day.
 
My mind too is now often jumping ahead to what happens after July. It is with every ounce of mental strength I can muster that I bring that mind back to focus only on today. I remind myself of this scripture God gave me back in June 2010 when we were facing other trials, and as with His word, how relevant it is still for me today ...
 
But me, I'm not giving up, I'm sticking around to see what God will do. I'm waiting for God to make things right. I'm counting on God to listen to me. Micah 7:7 (The Message)
 
Prayer Points
1. Victoria will continue to have minimal side effects from the chemotherapy
2. Each member of our family will continue to seek God for strength and learn more about how to show His love and compassion to each other
3. Our family will continue to stand strong together and be a light for Jesus.
 
Thank you too for sticking with us.
 

No comments: